The four pillars of successful franchisesIf you are thinking of buying a franchise, there are loads of things to take into account. We have whittled them down to four key fundamentals – if these four aspects of the business can be met, then opportunity is knocking and it’s probably best you answer the door.
Entrepreneur and author Seth Godin defines a brand as "the set of expectations, memories, stories and relationships that, taken together, account for a consumer’s decision to choose one product or service over another."
Brands come in all shapes and sizes – some reputable, some recognisable, some reliable, and some not so much. The brand is the holistic heart of a business and if you are going to invest in an existing successful franchise brand, you need to make sure it is strong and deserving.
Always do your research. Here are some questions to ask:
- What are people saying about the brand?
- What does the brand stand for?
- How loyal are its customers?
- Where is it placed in the market?
- Who are its biggest competitors?
- What are the brand’s strengths and weaknesses?
Put yourself in the customers’ shoes; even be a customer if you can. Social media is a great place to start to understand how the brand is perceived.
The franchisor and franchisee relationship
A strong relationship between the franchisor and franchisee is crucial for franchise success. However, this relationship is complex. At the end of the day, it is a legal relationship, but it is also so much more than that – a successful relationship is founded on cooperation and interdependence.
The foundation of the relationship is the contract. Good legal advice will ensure your contract is sound, well-considered, addresses all the potential issues and provides the appropriate protection for all parties.
It is also important to establish upfront what level of support the franchisor is offering over the long term. Is training provided and what support is available if something goes wrong? Addressing these questions at the beginning will avoid frustration down the track, and, as with all relationships, communication is key.
The franchise system
The franchise system is the business model under which the franchise operates. This includes the operational processes, the marketing, the structure of the business, how the products or services are sold, and the overall way of doing business.
One of the main reasons why the franchise model is so successful is because the franchise buyer gets the opportunity to invest in a system that is proven; however, this is does not always guarantee success. The best way to determine how sound the franchise system is, is to research the existing network – talk to other franchisees, review the history of the franchise, how it performs and consider its future.
At the end of the day, both franchisors and franchisees are looking to profit financially from their financial investment, time and energy.
However, when it comes to financials, franchises differ from traditional business models. Franchises are typically lower-risk as their systems are usually well developed, documented, tried and proven. But like any business, it’s difficult for a franchisor to provide financial guarantees given how many factors are in play. They may be able to give an indication of the performance of other franchisees but ultimately, it is up to you to do your own comprehensive due diligence.
Buying a franchise can be a great way to get into business while enjoying some support, training and guidance without going through the process of starting up a business or franchise from scratch and forging your own path. For more information on buying a franchise business, choosing the right franchise and the advantages of franchises, check out our collection of franchise and business buyer resources.
Check out our Franchise for Sale listings.
Recommend this article:
- Finding the right business for sale
- About owning a small business
- 5 questions to ask before buying a retail business
- What it takes to be a successful small business owner
- How to measure a business's success
- Is a home based business right for you
- Why pick the ugly duckling when buying a business
- Why buy an existing business?
- Mistakes to avoid when Buying a Business
- How to finance a franchise
- Why buy a mobile franchise
- How to buy a franchise for sale opportunity
- The pillars of a successful franchise
- Why buy a franchise?
- Buying a restaurant or cafe for sale
- Buying a hotel or motel for sale
- 10 questions to ask before you buy a business
- Think buying a franchise
- Franchising tax and compliance considerations
- Deciding on the right franchise to buy